Oh boy, this new version is so amazing in terms of improvements and contributions that it’s hard to sum it up !
Before going into more explanations I want to dedicate this release to tobes whose contributions, hard work and patience have permitted this ambitious 3.0 : THANK YOU !
This is the graph of contributed commits since 2.9 just so you realise how much this version is thanks to him:
I can’t continue on without also thanking Horgix who started this madness by splitting the code base into modular files and pydsigner for his everlasting contributions and code reviews !
The git stat since 2.9 also speaks for itself:
73 files changed, 7600 insertions(+), 3406 deletions(-)
So what’s new ?
- the monolithic code base have been split into modules responsible for the given tasks py3status performs
- major improvements on modules output orchestration and execution resulting in considerable CPU consumption reduction and i3bar responsiveness
- refactoring of user notifications with added dbus support and rate limiting
- improved modules error reporting
- py3status can now survive an i3status crash and will try to respawn it
- a new ‘container’ module output type gives the ability to group modules together
- refactoring of the time and tztime modules support brings the support of all the time macros (%d, %Z etc)
- support for stopping py3status and its modules when i3bar hide mode is used
- refactoring of general, contribution and most noticeably modules documentation
- more details on the rest of the changelog
Along with a cool list of improvements on the existing modules, these are the new modules:
- new group module to cycle display of several modules (check it out, it’s insanely handy !)
- new fedora_updates module to check for your Fedora packages updates
- new github module to check a github repository and notifications
- new graphite module to check metrics from graphite
- new insync module to check your current insync status
- new timer module to have a simple countdown displayed
- new twitch_streaming module to check is a Twitch Streamer is online
- new vpn_status module to check your VPN status
- new xrandr_rotate module to rotate your screens
- new yandexdisk_status module to display Yandex.Disk status
And of course thank you to all the others who made this version possible !
- Alex Caswell
- Johannes Karoff
- Joshua Pratt
- Maxim Baz
- Nathan Smith
- Themistokle Benetatos
- Vladimir Potapev
- Yongming Lai